Date(s): 12. Jul, 2022 - 09. Oct, 2022
Plum Village Thailand
“Stepping into Freedom”
Three-month Ordination in Rain Retreat 2022
Dear young friends,
You are invited to be a monastic for three months to deepen your practice to transform and heal your difficulties and nourish happiness. This is a noble happy, and simple life, which we will learn to live with a big community during the rain retreat 2022. Thai Plum Village International Practice Center has a special program for friends between 18-40 years old. It is an ordination program for those who wish to walk on the path of understanding and love.
“Stepping into Freedom” is a Three-month Ordination Program organized at Thai Plum Village International Practice Center for the fifth time. We will accept only 10 men and 10 women in this program due to the limited space.
To understand the young monastic life better, you will have a chance to attend all schedules and will be supervised by Dharma teachers. You will learn the four aspects of practice: studying, playing, practicing, and working. This is the opportunity to build brotherhood and sisterhood. You will also have a chance to learn basic practices that can help you organize activities for your local sangha, enrich the spiritual life and nourish the mind of serving others.
Sample of the Daily Activities
4:00 Wake up
4:45 Sitting meditation and chanting
6:00 walking meditation
15:00 Working meditation: Weeding, gardening, cleaning and etc
19:30 Sitting meditation and chanting
21:00 Noble silence
Every Thursday will be a Day of Mindfulness for monastic and every Sunday will be a Day of Mindfulness for the fourfold community.
*Subject to change according to the Sangha schedule
- Male or female age 18 – 40 years old with Thai nationality or any other Asian nationalities
- Practice with Plum Village regularly
- Be able to communicate in English
- Be able to join the whole program for three months
- Willing to shave your head as a monastic
- Your relationships with those close to you are settled, and your decision is in harmony with them, so that they will not be an obstacle to your training as a monastic.
- No incurable disease or serious medical condition: Your mental stability and physical health should be sound enough not to be an obstacle or a challenge for your training and for that of the community. A medical and blood check will be required for you to enter the program.
- Commitment to study, practice, and serve: Our training is to flow as a sangha. You commit to learn how to practice as a community and to follow the guidance of the sangha, including attending all sangha activities.
- As part of your training you will be asked to release items that do not support your training such as mobile phone and laptops
The Required Documents
All applicants are invited to send all documents below to [email protected]
The registration will close on May 27, 2022
- Application Form for Stepping into Freedom with current photo
- Family background (included in the Application Form)
- Aspiration Letter (included in the Application Form)
- Background with Plum Village tradition
- Medical Health Check with physical examination, blood test, chest X-ray, urinalysis including HIV, Hepatitis B,C and TB with doctor approval letter in English
- Latest two doses of Vaccination Certificate in English
- Letter of recommendation from local sangha. Please send directly to e-mail above
You are invited to support this program 600 USD for your accommodation, food and monastic clothing and general expenses for these 3 months. (Excluded medical expense, visa and traveling cost)
Timeline of the Program
- 27 May: Registration Closed
- 03 – 05 June: On-site interview for Thai participants
- 6 – 8 June: The non-Thai applicants will be interviewed via Zoom by appointment
- 10 June: Announcement for the result
- 09 July: Arriving Thailand for the applicants
- 30 July: Ordination Ceremony
- 05 October: Ceremony to leave the monastic life and return home for non-Thai applicants
- 09 October: Ceremony to leave the monastic life and return home for Thai applicants